Tuesday 19 June 2018

What's family?

What makes a family?

In the past, it's always been biological and marriage that determines family, but I think Australian society is moving beyond that - or at least I think/hope it might be.

When I was growing up, boyfriends didn't get a place in family photos. It wasn't until you were legally married that a partner was accepted in the group shots so often taken. And maybe that was my conservative Catholic upbringing, where everyone usually ended up married.

Now there's a much wider acceptance of all types of relationships, in society as a whole, and in my extended family. And I love it. I love the broad acceptance of everyone. I love the happiness and inclusiveness. I love that family is who we open our arms, and hearts, to.

The "Yes" vote changed a lot of minds across Australia, I think. It seems to have had a powerful effect on many people, with quite a bit of genuine happiness around (or maybe I'm just living in a bubble!).

I don't mean that everything is roses. Society is still a difficult place with shadows and nastiness, hatred and horror. I just think there's also a glimmer of happiness working its way across as well. Change is happening.

I'm having a period of good health, and I've been catching up with family. A 90th birthday celebration and a family wedding have been occasions to catch up with the ever growing extended family. I've met partners and children who I haven't met before yet who have been part of the family for years. And that's been awesome.

I've also noticed how many changes our family have made with regard to acceptance. Where once our family were all similar in race, creed, religion, persuasion, etc. there's been a diversification. Our family have accepted others and I love it.

When I was growing up, racist/sexist/etc. comments were a normal, unthoughtabout part of most conversations. My sisters called me a name that sat very uncomfortably on my teenage shoulders. The name indicated that I too used these comments, and yet I wasn't truly aware of that. I had different views inside my head to what was coming from my mouth. I started to pay attention to the thoughtless things I was saying. I began to think more about what came from my mouth. I modified my words. Thought of the implications of those words, and the way that words create the acceptances of society.

It wasn't easy to change my words. It wasn't easy to recognise that I was being racist, sexist, and discriminatory in my thoughtlessness. It was a tough awakening.

I'm not good at it yet. My feet still inhabit my mouth at many opportunities. But I'm trying to change. Trying to be aware. And I hope this is a similar thing that is happening in the wider community.

May family always be those you love, no matter what holds you together.

No comments: